Fresh Pineapple Salsa (Salsa de Piña)
Tropical fruit adds sweetness and acidity to this fragrant, spicy salsa. The tart pineapple and tomato are a perfect foil for rich meats, stewed chicken, and roasted fish. This salsa recipe first appeared in our August/September 2012 issue with Hugo Ortega’s article Special Sauce.
- 2 cups finely chopped pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 serrano chiles, stemmed and minced
- 1 small red onion, minced
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and toss until evenly combined. Let sit at room temperature to meld flavors, at least 30 minutes.