Abbeville, Louisiana, has its annual Giant Omelette Celebration every November. The festival features every kind of Cajun specialty, but the main event is the preparation and communal consumption of a giant omelette. The original recipe feeds the whole town, but this adaptation makes a more manageable portion.
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup crawfish tails, peeled and cooked
- 10 eggs
- 1⁄2 cups milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 3 sprigs parsley, chopped
- Heat butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in crawfish tails.
- Beat together eggs and milk in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour eggs into skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft curds form. Just before eggs are cooked to your liking, add scallions, parsley, and Tabasco to taste. Serve with warm French bread, if you like.