The success of this simple dish depends on the freshness of the vegetables; just out of the garden is best.
- 5 lb. of young vegetables such as beets, carrots, asparagus, and new potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 egg yolks (preferably pasteurized)
- 1 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Cook vegetables, one type at a time, in a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat until tender (cook beets last). Remove from water with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Use a mortar and pestle to mash garlicinto a paste, then transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in egg yolks. Then, whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and fresh lemon juice. Makes 1 cup aïoli.