Angel Food Cupcakes with Lemon Mascarpone Frosting
These cupcakes are the perfect spring or summer treat — light and airy angel food cake is topped with a tangy lemon-mascarpone frosting and garnished with fresh berries.
Yield: makes 12
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 3⁄4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup blackberries, raspberries, or quartered strawberries
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- Make the cupcakes: Heat oven to 325°. In a bowl, sift together flour and confectioners' sugar; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and vanilla, and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add sifted flour mixture and gently fold until smooth; fill 12 muffin tin cups lined with cupcake liners to the top with batter. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes; let cool completely.
- Make the frosting: In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, salt, and zest on medium-high speed of a hand mixer until smooth. Add confectioners's sugar and juice, and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gently stir in mascarpone, and then transfer frosting to a small piping bag or plastic bag fitted with a ⅜" plain tip; pipe a thick ring of frosting around the top each cupcake.
- To serve, toss together berries, sugar, and liqueur in a small bowl and let sit to meld flavors, about 10 minutes; top cupcakes with berries just before serving.