Simple and easy to assemble, these retro-inspired, two-bite hors d’oeuvres can be assembled up to two days ahead of time and baked off before guests arrive.
- 20 large white button mushrooms
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1 (14-oz.) can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and chopped
- 1 egg white
- Heat oven to 375°. Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish with 1 tbsp. butter; set aside.
- Remove and finely chop stems from mushrooms, reserving caps. Heat remaining butter in a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped mushroom stems, garlic, and shallot and season with salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushroom mixture is dry, about 7 minutes. Add 1⁄4 cup wine, and cook until wine has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Add parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, artichokes, and egg white. Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Using a spoon, fill mushroom caps with about 3 tbsp. filling and pack tightly. Place filled mushroom caps in a single layer on greased baking dish. Pour remaining wine around mushrooms, and bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.