In Hadley, Massachusetts, asparagus is the prized local crop; we got this recipe from the Barstow family, longtime Hadley residents and asparagus aficionados. The vegetable is blanched until crisp-tender, enriched with a splash of cream, and served on rye toast.
- 4 slices crusty rye bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. celery salt, plus more to taste
- 3⁄4 cup light cream
- Freshly ground black pepper