King Oscar sardines work nicely in this preparation, which is based on a recipe in <em>La Cuisine</em> (Leon Amill, 1969) by Raymond Oliver.
Yield: serves 2
- Canola oil, for frying
- 6 oil-packed sardines, drained
- 3 slices bacon, halved crosswise
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped mixed fresh herbs such as flat-leaf parsley, chives, tarragon, and basil
- Pour oil into a 6-qt. Dutch oven to a depth of 2"; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Pat sardines dry with paper towels. Wrap each in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Fry bacon-wrapped sardines, turning occasionally, until bacon is crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sardines to paper towels. Fry bread in same pot, turning, until golden brown and crisp, about 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels. Remove toothpicks from sardines. To serve, place 3 sardines on each slice of toast and sprinkle with herbs.