This rich, comforting dish is the perfect meal to eat on a cold winter night. We used Sankow’s Beaver Brook Farm Pleasant Cow cheese for this recipe. It’s smooth with lots of flavor but still mild enough for a child to love.
- 1 (3-4-lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. Sankow’s Beaver Brook Farm Pleasant Cow or swiss cheese, grated on large holes of a box grater (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°. Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper. Spread chicken out in a roasting pan, skin side down, and bake for 20 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and continue to bake until skin is golden and chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes more. Transfer chicken, skin side up, to a baking dish large enough to hold pieces in a single layer. Pour off fat from roasting pan and set pan aside.
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle half the cheese over the chicken, then lightly brown under the broiler, 3-4 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- Heat roasting pan on top of stove over medium-high heat. Add cream, stock, and mustard and cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining cheese, whisking until smooth. Pour sauce around chicken. Serve with cooked egg noodles, if you like.