Baked Ricotta with Orange Blossom Cherry Sauce
Serve this nutty, sweet baked ricotta recipe as an appetizer, as part of a cheese course, or for dessert paired with shortbread cookies.
Yield: serves 4-6
For the Ricotta Custards
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese, drained overnight
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg
For the Cherry-Orange Blossom Compote
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange blossom water
- Make the ricotta custards: Heat the oven to 400°. Lightly grease four 4-oz. ramekins with butter and place on a baking sheet. Whisk ricotta, honey, zest, and egg in a bowl until smooth. Divide ricotta mixture between ramekins and smooth the tops with a spatula. Bake until lightly puffed and golden brown on top, 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Make the cherry compote: Bring cherries, sugar, and orange juice to a boil in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until cherries soften and liquid reduces to a syrup, 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the orange blossom water; let cool slightly. Transfer ramekins to serving plates; spoon cherries and syrup over top.