These fudgy swirled brownies are made creamy by the addition of cream cheese.
Yield: makes 12
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 1 tbsp. flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. fine salt
- 7 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9″ x 13″ glass baking pan with butter and line with parchment paper; grease paper. Set pan aside.
- Pour enough water into a 4-quart saucepan that it reaches a depth of 1″. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Combine butter and chocolate in a medium bowl; set bowl over saucepan. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Add 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla and the almond extract and stir until smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Sift together 1 1⁄4 cups flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set flour mixture aside. In a large bowl, whisk together 6 eggs and 2 cups sugar until dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in the melted chocolate and fold in flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- With a hand mixer on medium speed, beat remaining sugar and cream cheese in a medium bowl until fluffy and smooth, 1 minute. Add remaining vanilla, flour, and egg; beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture evenly over the chocolate batter and swirl together with a toothpick. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Cut and serve.