Black Bean Burger with Salsa Fresca and Avocado Crema
Cumin, paprika, coriander, and both poblano and chipotle chiles lend their robust flavor to this earthy black bean burger. Dredged in cornmeal, it’s a hearty base for a bright salsa fresca and smooth avocado crema.
For the Black Bean Burgers
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 (15-oz.) cans, black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground cornmeal
For the Avocado Crema and Serving
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- Salsa Fresca
- 6 hamburger buns
- Make the burgers: Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and poblanos, and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano, and chipotle chiles, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Add breadcrumbs, beans, and eggs, season with salt and pepper, and mix well to combine. Divide mixture into six 5 1⁄2-oz. patties, about 3″ wide x 1″ thick; place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to use.
- Make the avocado crema: Combine sour cream, lime juice, avocado, and salt and pepper in a blender, and purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge 3 burgers in cornmeal, and cook, flipping once, until toasted on each side and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil, burgers, and cornmeal.
- Spread the bottom half of each bun with avocado crema, top with a burger and some Salsa Fresca and serve.
Note: Burgers may be formed and frozen, sealed, for up to one month. Defrost as necessary, dredge in cornmeal as described in step 3, and cook.