Black Bean Burger with Salsa Fresca and Avocado Crema
A flurry of spices lend robust flavor to this earthy, vegetarian black bean burger topped with bright salsa fresca and smooth avocado crema.
Yield: makes 6 burgers
For the Black Bean Burgers
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 (15-oz.) cans, black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground cornmeal
For the Avocado Crema and Serving
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- Salsa Fresca
- 6 hamburger buns
- Make the burgers: Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and poblanos, and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano, and chipotle chiles, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Add breadcrumbs, beans, and eggs, season with salt and pepper, and mix well to combine. Divide mixture into six 5 1⁄2-oz. patties, about 3" wide x 1" thick; place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to use.
- Make the avocado crema: Combine sour cream, lime juice, avocado, and salt and pepper in a blender, and purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge 3 burgers in cornmeal, and cook, flipping once, until toasted on each side and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil, burgers, and cornmeal.
- Spread the bottom half of each bun with avocado crema, top with a burger and some Salsa Fresca and serve.