Cantaloupe is marinated in honey and spices, then tossed with basil and sea salt for this refreshing summer salad. Just about any spice can be added to the honey syrup for marinating melon; honeydew also works well.
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tsp. whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 slightly underripe cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs basil. plus 3 tbsp. thinly sliced
- Flaky sea salt
- Whisk honey, black pepper, and 1 cup boiling water in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish; allow to cool. Add cantaloupe; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Drain and discard excess syrup from cantaloupe. Sprinkle with thinly sliced basil and salt.