Black Raspberry Coffee Cake
This recipe originally called for red raspberries and came from a Cuisinart magazine published in 1979.
Yield: makes 1 8" cake
For the Topping
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
For the Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh black (or red) raspberries
- For the topping, in a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and butter. Using your hands, mix thoroughly, then add chocolate. Mix well with a wooden spoon and set aside.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 375°. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 8'' round springform cake pan. Sprinkle raspberries over cake, then cover with topping. Bake until well-browned, 40-45 minutes. Serve warm.