Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
Both blue cheese and Italian dressings adorn this classic iceberg wedge salad from Anthony’s Steakhouse in Omaha. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Here’s the Beef.
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄3 cups olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄4 cup half & half
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and quartered
- 20 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- Whisk vinegar, 3 tbsp. parsley, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified; set Italian dressing aside. In another bowl, stir 1⁄3 cup blue cheese with the half & half, mayonnaise, sour cream, juice, granulated garlic, onion powder, celery seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Divide iceberg quarters, tomatoes, and cucumber among 4 plates. Top with onion rings and drizzle with Italian dressing. Crumble remaining blue cheese over top and spoon over blue cheese dressing; garnish with remaining parsley.