Perfect for fall, this apple-and-bourbon recipe comes from Jennifer Pittman of Louisville, Kentucky’s Proof on Main. It first appeared in our October 2011 issue, along with Rebecca Barry’s article Whiskey Rebellion.
For the Spiced Syrup (Makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. whole cloves, crushed
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
For the Cocktail
- 3 oz. apple cider
- 1 1⁄2 oz. bourbon
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Dried apple slice, to garnish
- For the syrup: Boil 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon; let sit for 1 hour. Strain and chill syrup.
- For the cocktail: Mix 3⁄4 oz. spiced syrup, cider, bourbon, and juice in a shaker with ice; shake to chill. Strain into a martini glass; garnish with apple.