Bourbon Smash Jelly Shots
This Bourbon Smash jelly shot, developed for SAVEUR by Michelle Palm of the blog Jelly Shot Test Kitchen, is a mix of fresh raspberries and mint, with just a touch of bourbon.
Recommended pan: molds or 1-lb. loaf pan (approximately 8″ x 4″)
Implements: cocktail muddler, bowls, fine mesh strainer
- 1 (6-oz.) package fresh raspberries, plus additional for garnish (optional)
- 3 large sprigs fresh mint (about 25 mint leaves)
- 2⁄3 cup bourbon
- 2⁄3 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1⁄3 cup limeade concentrate, thawed and strained to remove solids
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 envelopes Knox gelatin
- 2 tsp. agave nectar or simple syrup, if desired
- Muddle raspberries and mint leaves in small bowl. Stir in bourbon and set aside.
- Pour cranberry juice, limeade concentrate, and water into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow the gelatin to soak for a minute or two. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Strain the raspberry-bourbon mixture, making sure to press out all the liquid (you should have about a cup of liquid). Stir into the gelatin mixture. Taste; add the agave nectar/simple syrup if desired.
- Pour mixture into pan or molds and refrigerate until fully set, several hours or overnight.
- To serve, cut into desired shapes or unmold. Garnish with slivers of fresh raspberry and mint, if you like.