Bulgur Wheat and Walnut Salad
Fine-grain bulgur wheat is essential for this dish.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine-grain bulgur wheat
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tamarind concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place bulgur wheat in a large bowl. Add 2 cups water and 1 tbsp. oil. Set aside until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tamarind and 1⁄3 cup warm water in a medium bowl. Add walnuts, pine nuts, parsley, and scallions to bulgur wheat and mix well. Add remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice to tamarind mixture, season with salt and pepper, and pour over bulgur wheat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 2 hours. Adjust seasoning with salt and cayenne pepper; serve with wedges of toasted pita bread.