A version of a California classic, this sandwich is a healthy mix of vegetables, whole-grain bread, and Jack cheese, topped with ranch dressing. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with the article Golden State of Sandwiches.
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices multigrain sandwich bread
- 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 ripe tomato, cored and thinly sliced
- Whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, parsley, and garlic and onion powders in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and spread on all bread slices. Place 1 slice cheese each on 2 slices of bread and top with sprouts, avocado, and tomato. Season with salt and pepper, and cover with remaining 2 slices of bread.