Carrot and Daikon Pickle
This crunchy pickle can stand alone as a snack or an appetizer, or you can add it to Asian dipping sauces, Banh Mi (the spicy Vietnamese baguette pork sandwich), or salads like the Lotus Stem Salad.
- 1⁄2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 1⁄2 lb. small daikon, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- In a bowl, combine the carrots, daikon, salt, and 1 tsp. sugar. Let sit until the vegetables have wilted slightly and liquid pools at the bottom of the bowl, about 30 minutes. Drain vegetables; rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining sugar, the vinegar, and 1⁄2 cup warm water and pour mixture over the vegetables. Stir to combine. Set mixture aside to let marinate for at least 1 hour or refrigerate, tightly covered, for up to 4 weeks.