Céleri-Rave Rémoulade (Celery Root Rémoulade)
In this classic bistro salad julienned celery root melds with a Dijon mustard-spiked dressing.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large celery root (or 2 medium; about 1 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled
- 2 tbsp. minced ﬂat-leaf parsley
- Arrange a damp tea towel in a circle on a work surface. Set a bowl over tea towel (to help prevent the bowl from slipping). Add egg yolk and mustard; whisk to combine. While whisking, pour in 1 tsp. oil a few drops at a time to create a thick mixture. Continue whisking, adding oil in a thin stream 1 tsp. at a time, until sauce is thick and creamy. Whisk in 2 tbsp. lemon juice; season with salt and pepper; cover rémoulade with plastic wrap and chill.
- Using a mandoline or a large knife, cut celery root into 1⁄8"-thick slices. Stack 2–3 celery root slices and cut lengthwise into 1⁄8" matchsticks. Repeat. Transfer julienned celery root and remaining lemon juice to a large bowl; toss to combine. Add reserved rémoulade, season with salt and pepper, and toss. Cover salad; chill until celery root wilts slightly, about 30 minutes. To serve, divide salad between plates and garnish with parsley.