John Gottfried owner of Gourmet Garage shared this recipe with us. He uses premium salted butter in this risotto.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 minced, peeled shallots
- 4 cups cleaned small chanterelles
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Bring chicken stock to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low to maintain simmer.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a medium deep pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook for 1 minute. Add small chanterelles and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a bowl.
- Melt 2 tbsp. additional butter in same pot over medium heat, add short-grain rice, and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the hot stock and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is almost absorbed. Continue adding stock, about 3⁄4 cup at a time, stirring frequently, until rice is tender but firm to the bite and mixture is creamy but not soupy, about 25 minutes. Add chanterelles just before last addition of stock. Stir in parmigiano-reggiano, adjust seasonings, and serve immediately.