The use of okra sets this chicken gumbo apart from the more traditional seafood gumbo.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lb. chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
- 3 lb. fresh okra, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 8 cups hot Chicken Stock or water
- In a large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and cayenne, and cook in batches. Remove chicken as it browns and set aside.
- To the same pot, add okra, tomatoes, and onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until okra is very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot and add hot chicken stock or water. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gumbo has thickened, about 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning.