The chickpea-flour crepe called socca is a classic of Niçoise cuisine.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 1⁄4 cups chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 3 tbsp.
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Finely ground black pepper
- Whisk together chickpea flour, 2 cups water, 1⁄4 cup of the oil, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Preheat broiler and coat a 12" skillet with remaining 3 tbsp. olive oil. Pour batter into skillet and place it under broiler, shaking pan for a few seconds. Broil for 4 minutes, then lower oven to 450° and bake for 6–8 minutes. Cut into irregular slices; dust with pepper.