Chilled Carrot Soup with Fines Herbes Mousse
This intense soup from the French Laundry seems to capture the very essence of fresh spring carrots.
Yield: serves 4
For the Carrot Soup
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1" rounds
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh carrot juice
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
For the Herb Mousse
- 1⁄4 cup crème frâiche
- 1 chive, finely chopped
- 1 small sprig parsley, minced
- 1 small sprig chervil, minced
- 1 small sprig tarragon, minced
- For the soup: Put carrots, 1 1⁄4 cups of the carrot juice, butter, honey, and curry into a medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid has evaporated and carrots are very soft, about 1 hour. Add cream, increase heat to medium, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Puree carrot mixture and remaining 1 1⁄4 cups carrot juice in the jar of a blender. Pass soup through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- For the mousse: Whisk creme fraiche in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in chives, parsley, chervil, and tarragon.
- Divide soup between 4 chilled soup bowls and place a spoonful of mousse in center of each bowl on top of soup.