Pan-Fried Chorizo Burgers with Avocado, Fried Eggs and Spicy Mayo
A riff on a breakfast plate, these burgers get a wonderful spicy flavor from an even mix of ground beef and chorizo. Topped with melted cheese, avocado, and a perfect runny egg, they make a satisfying meal at any time of day.
- 1⁄2 lb. fresh chorizo, casings removed
- 1⁄2 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. hot sauce, preferably Cholula
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted, for serving
- Lettuce leaves, and sliced tomatoes, for serving
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced, for serving
- 4 fried eggs, for serving (optional)
- Mix chorizo, beef, cumin, coriander, 1 tbsp. cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. Divide mixture into four 3″ patties about 1″ thick. Mix remaining cilantro with mayonnaise, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties, flipping once, until cooked to desired doneness, about 12 minutes for medium rare. Place 1 slice cheese over each burger; cook until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes more. Serve on hamburger buns with spicy mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and sliced avocado. Top each burger with a fried egg if you like.