This tart-sweet relish, which makes use of a bumper crop of late-summer produce, is the perfect condiment for the Cod Cakes. This recipe is based on one in Simple Pleasures from Our Maritime Kitchens by Julie V. Watson (Raincoast Books, 2002).
- 1 1⁄2 lb. green tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground coriander
Toss tomatoes, onions, celery, and peppers in a large bowl with salt; cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 4 hours or overnight. Transfer vegetables to a sieve and press to extract excess juices; discard juices.
Transfer vegetables to a 6-qt. saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Cover, bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, about 2½ hours. Transfer relish to a jar and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.