Bake the ham a day ahead and serve it at room temperature the next day.
This baked ham makes a lovely entree for a Christmas dinner, but it's delicious any day of the year.
Yield: serves 16-18
- 1 (14-16-lb.) bone-in, skin-on smoked ham
- Whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- Place ham on a platter and let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 425°. Peel off and discard the skin, leaving the fat on the ham. Using a sharp knife, score fat on top side of ham in a crisscross pattern, creating diamonds about 2″ long, then stud each diamond with 2–3 whole cloves.
- Mix brown sugar and lemon zest; rub mixture evenly on the top of the ham. Transfer ham to a shallow roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking until ham is deep golden brown and a knife inserted into the thickest part comes out hot, about 45 minutes more. Serve with Crab Apple Jelly, if you like.