Ground cinnamon gives the topping for this coffee cake its signature zing; the cake itself gets an extra boost of flavor from cinnamon extract.
Yield: serves 8
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 2 tsp. sugar
- 6 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tbsp. sour cream
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon extract
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 325°. Grease an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with a little butter and sprinkle with a little flour; set aside. Make topping: In a bowl, mix 8 tbsp. melted butter, 1⁄4 cup sugar, 6 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon, and 1⁄2 tsp. salt until smooth. Add 1 1⁄2 cups flour; mix with a fork until crumbly; chill. Make filling: In a bowl, mix remaining brown sugar, 2 tsp. sugar, 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon, and pecans; set filling aside.
- Make cake batter: In another bowl, whisk together remaining flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a large measuring cup, whisk together remaining butter, milk, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon extract, and eggs until smooth. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients; whisk to combine. Pour half the batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle filling over top; pour remaining batter over it. Break up reserved topping with fingers; sprinkle over top; bake until a toothpick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool before serving.