The higher the meat's fat content, the juicier the burger will be but the more it will shrink; we prefer 80 percent lean beef. This hamburger may be grilled instead of panfried.
- Vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef or chuck
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 soft white hamburger bun, split
- 4 (1/4"-thick) slices of a large ripe tomato
- 12-16 slices pickles (options)
- 4 small leaves iceberg lattuce
- 4 (1/4"-thick) slices peeled onion
Variation: This recipe can be prepared on an outdoor grill. Prepare grill for direct heat and preheat. Follow step 2 above. Sear patties on grill until well browned on both sides, turning once. Continue to grill until preferred doneness. To assemble, follow step 4 above.