You can use a food processor to shred cabbage, but hand-shredding, though time-consuming and old-fashioned, produces crunchier slaw.
Yield: serves 12
- 1 green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 2 small carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- Put cabbage, carrots, celery, red onion, salt, sugar, and mayonnaise into a large bowl and toss until well combined. Adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.