A popular appetizer at Galatoire's restaurant in New Orleans, this light and satisfying salad is a great lunch on Mardi Gras with crusty French bread.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. high quality olive oil
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Creole or Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. small capers, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
- 12 large leaves butter lettuce
- 4 slices tomato, halved
- Whisk together mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, mustard, capers, parsley, salt, pepper, and scallions; add crabmeat and fold gently to combine. Place 3 leaves lettuce each on 4 salad plates. Divide crab mixture evenly among plates and garnish with two half slices tomato.