Creamed Brussels Sprouts
Indulge in this creamy Brussels spouts preparation that combines the best elements of creamed spinach with the holidays' favorite petite cabbage.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a 6 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil; cover and cook until wilted and soft, about 5 minutes. Uncover, stir in cream and sugar, and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes more; season with salt and pepper.