Bring out the best in Brussels sprouts with this simple, creamy preparation. Don’t skimp on the salt: it lends depth and highlights the sprouts’ natural sweetness.
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. sugar
- In a 6-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and stock, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil; cover and cook until wilted and soft, about 5 minutes. Uncover, stir in the cream and sugar, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper; serve.