Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast (Shit on a Shingle)
This recipe for the well-known military grub, nicknamed S.O.S., is delicious and satisfying — a great way to start the day.
Yield: serves 10
- 10 oz. dried sliced beef, chopped into 1⁄2" pieces (about 3 cups chopped)
- 7 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup melted bacon grease
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 slices white sandwich bread, toasted
- Put beef into a large bowl, cover with cold water, and let soak for 3-5 minutes (depending on how salty you'd like the finished product). Drain beef and set aside.
- Put milk into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, put bacon grease and flour into a medium bowl and stir well to form a smooth paste. Reduce heat to medium-low, whisk flour paste into milk, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add beef, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer until very thick, about 5 minutes more. Ladle the creamed chipped beef over toast and serve immediately. No griping!