Creamed Onion Gratin
Sweet, translucent roasted onions marry beautifully with the béchamel and Gorgonzola in this rich casserole.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 2 medium yellow onions, cored and quartered lengthwise
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 3 oz. Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄4 tsp. paprika
- Heat oven to 350°. Toss onions with oil in a 9″ × 11″ baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Bake, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 1 hour; set aside. Heat oven to broil.
- Heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add flour, and cook, stirring, until smooth, about 1 minute. Add cream and wine, and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce evenly over onions. Sprinkle with parmesan, dot with Gorgonzola, and sprinkle with paprika; broil until cheese is melted and golden brown on top, about 2 minutes.