Cucumber and Salmon Rolls (Rouleaux de Concombre et Saumon)
When making these appetizers, try to use the thinnest-cut smoked salmon you can find; you should almost be able to see through it. Thickly sliced salmon will make the rolls too fat.
- 6 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 5 large mint leaves, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 long English cucumber
- 1⁄4 lb. very thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Cherry tomatoes, to serve
- Combine goat cheese, mint, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Trim the ends off cucumber, then halve crosswise. Cut each cucumber half lengthwise into 8 thin flexible slices.
- Cut salmon into sixteen 1-by-6–inch pieces. Lay one piece salmon lengthwise atop a cucumber slice, then dollop about 1 tbsp. of the goat cheese mixture on one end. Starting at the goat cheese end, roll up the salmon and cucumber completely and secure with a toothpick; transfer to a large platter. Repeat process to make 16 rolls in all. Garnish platter with cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately.