Chiles lend heat to this smoky dip from Kea, Greece.
Eggplant and Parsley Dip (Melintzanosalata)
Chiles lend heat to this smoky grilled eggplant dip from Kea, Greece.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 2 lb. eggplant (about 2 large eggplants)
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toasted pita, for serving
- Build a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to high. Grill eggplants, turning, until charred and soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool. Peel eggplants; scoop out seeds. Chop eggplants; drain in strainer for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1⁄4 cup oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers; cook for 10 minutes. Add jalapeños and continue cooking until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl of food processor along with reserved eggplant, remaining oil, parsley, vinegar, and garlic. Process until slightly chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Chill to meld flavors. Serve with pita.