Evelyne's Gratinéed Potatoes
Crème fraîche gives a slight tang to this classic dish.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, and minced
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 400º. Bring milk and cream just to a boil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, grease a large baking dish with 1 tbsp. of the butter and scatter garlic over bottom. Thinly slice potatoes. Arrange layers of slightly overlapping potato slices in dish, seasoning each layer with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Spread crème fraîche over potatoes, then pour hot milk–cream mixture over potatoes and dot with remaining butter. Bake until brown and bubbling, about 1 hour.