Combining fennel and parmigiano-reggiano is popular in Italy and Provence.
Combining fennel and parmigiano-reggiano, as in this tasty recipe, is popular in Italy and Provence.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. butter, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange fennel in a 10″ baking dish, and scatter butter and garlic around fennel. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add hot stock and bake until tender and browned, about 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon cream over fennel, sprinkle nutmeg over cream, then sprinkle fennel with parmigiano-reggiano. Broil until golden, about 1 minute.