According to Peter Berley, author of The Flexitarian Table, which contains the recipe on which this one is based, raw sunchokes (also known as Jerusalem artichokes) “have a crisp texture and sweet, nutty flavor.” In this preparation they are sliced paper thin and tossed with fennel, radishes, and apples and marinated in a delicate vinaigrette. The result is a refreshing salad that works perfectly as a side dish or an appetizer.
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp. chopped fennel fronds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 radishes, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 6 sunchokes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 gala or fuji apples, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and very thinly sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, chives, and fennel fronds to make a smooth vinaigrette. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add radishes, sunchokes, apples, and fennel. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day, to allow the flavors to come together. Season with salt and pepper before serving.