This sweet sandwich from Tartine Bakery & Cafe in San Francisco, is pressed and griddled to melt the creamy banana, cheese, and quince filling and toast the bread. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with author Christopher Tan's article Special Treats.
- 2 ½″-thick slices country bread
- 2 tbsp. fromage blanc
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into ¼″-thick rounds
- 1⁄4 cup softened membrillo (quince paste)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. olive oil