Fromage Blanc, Banana, and Membrillo Sandwich
This sweet sandwich from Tartine Bakery & Cafe in San Francisco, is pressed and griddled to melt the creamy banana, cheese, and quince filling and toast the bread. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with author Christopher Tan’s article Special Treats.
- 2 ½″-thick slices country bread
- 2 tbsp. fromage blanc
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into ¼″-thick rounds
- 1⁄4 cup softened membrillo (quince paste)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Top one slice of bread with fromage blanc and bananas; spread membrillo on other slice, and season with salt and pepper. Close sandwich and brush with butter and oil. Heat a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat and add sandwich; cook, weighing it down with a cast-iron skillet and turning once, until golden brown and sandwich is heated through, about 3 minutes. Cut into 3 pieces, and serve hot.