This is the ultimate summer dessert, best made with the first crop of gooseberries.
Yield: serves 6-8
For the Pastry
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. cake flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- pinches salt
- 10 tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
For the Filling
- 3 tbsp. Gooseberry Jam or currant jelly
- 3 cups gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- For the pastry: Mix together all-purpose and cake flours, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to work butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add 2-3 tbsp. ice water, stirring dough with a fork until it holds together. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out dough into a 12” round on a lightly floured surface, then ease into a 10” fluted, false-bottom tart pan and flute the rim.
- For the filling: Brush bottom of pastry with jam, then fill with gooseberries. Sprinkle sugar over gooseberries.
- Bake tart for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375° and continue baking until gooseberries just burst and edges of crust are golden, 30-40 minutes. Allow tart to cool, then unmold and serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.