Grilled Marinated Lamb
The traditional Armenian way to cook grilled lamb is on the bone. But by cutting the meat from the bone and into pieces, it marinates more thoroughly and cooks more quickly.
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 (8-lb.) leg of lamb, boned, trimmed, and divided into 4 pieces
- Put garlic, lemon juice, wine, oil, mint, salt, and a generous amount of pepper in the jar of a blender and blend to a coarse puree. Pour marinade into a large bowl and stir in onion. Add lamb to bowl, rub with marinade, and let sit, at room temperature, for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat grill. Remove lamb from marinade and tie each piece with kitchen string to form long, even pieces. Grill lamb over medium-hot coals, turning to brown all sides, until pink in center or internal temperature reads 130°, for medium-rare, about 30 minutes. Remove lamb from grill and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve garnished with fresh rosemary, if you like.