The Union Square Cafe in New York City makes this bloody mary using heirloom tomatoes from the nearby farmers’ market.
- 2 large ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. freshly grated horseradish
- Tabasco, to taste
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- Cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- Push tomatoes through a potato ricer or a medium sieve into a small bowl; discard solids. Refrigerate juice until chilled.
- Stir in vodka, lime juice, horseradish, and Tabasco and season with salt and pepper. Fill a highball glass with ice and add tomato juice mixture. Garnish with a wooden skewer threaded with grape tomatoes.