This sweet, ketchup-based sauce is typical of the Oklahoma City barbecue style.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. white or cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp. <a href="https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Barbecue-Spice">barbecue/ spice</a>
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Put ketchup, sugar, garlic, I cup water, worcestershire, vinegar, barbecue spice, and pepper into a small heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt, if you like. Simmer over medium-low heat, reducing heat, if necessary, to maintain a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes. If not using sauce right away, allow to cool, then store in a clean jar, tightly sealed, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.