Meat loaf—that old standby of the American dinner table—gets a fresh kick with horseradish in this variation of our classic recipe.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 lb. ground chuck
- 1-2 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 5 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 large egg
- 1 fresh bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine chuck, horseradish, cream, 2 tbsp. of the ketchup, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste, and half the onion–garlic mixture, and stir just enough to mix.
- Place meat in a 3″ × 7″ loaf pan and round the top with your hands to form a crown. Top with remaining onion–garlic mixture and drizzle with remaining 3 tbsp. ketchup. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove meat loaf from oven and let set about 10 minutes, for easier slicing.