Bright citrus juice and citrus bitters, apple brandy, cherry-flavored liqueur, and bittersweet amaro add layers of complexity to this whiskey drink served at Oklahoma City’s Ludivine restaurant. This recipe first appeared in the iPad edition of our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Oklahoma Rising.
- 1 1⁄2 oz. Calvados
- 1 oz. fresh blood orange juice
- 3⁄4 oz. amaro, preferably Montenegro
- 1⁄2 oz. maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 1⁄2 oz. rye
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 1 Amarena cherry for garnish
- Combine ingredients, except cherry, in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled coupe glass; garnish with cherry.