(Crostata di Marmellata) Dina Fabbri, who cooked for Lodovico Antinori at his Ornellaia wine estate in Tuscany, gave us her recipe for this classic crostata.
Yield: makes One 8" Tart
- 3 cups flour
- <sup>3</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 12 Tbsp. butter, melte
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup blackberry or prune jam
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Sift together flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large bowl, add lemon zest, and stir to combine. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add butter and eggs to the well. Using 2 knives, work mixture into butter and eggs until dough resembles coarse meal. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, lightly flour your hands, and knead just enough to make dough smooth. Press dough into a rough ball and flatten slightly to make a flat disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Allow dough to sit at room temperature to soften slightly before rolling out onto a lightly floured surface to a 1⁄4"-thick round. Lay the bottom of a 10" or 11" false-bottom tart pan on top of dough. Using a small knife, cut around the edge, saving the scraps, then remove tart pan bottom and carefully transfer dough round to a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Gather dough scraps into a ball and roll out again on a lightly floured surface into a 1⁄4"-thick round. Cut eight 1⁄4"-wide strips, then, using the palms of your hands, gently roll each until edges are rounded. Discard remaining scraps.
- Combine jam and lemon juice in a small bowl, then spread over center of dough, leaving a 2" border around edge. Fold dough edge over to just meet edge of jam. Arrange dough strips on top of jam in a lattice pattern, trimming off any overhanging dough. Bake until golden, 35-40 minutes. Cool before serving.
MORE TO READ
Sweet Caraway Scones with Salted Butter and Figs
An unexpected trio of ingredients sings in harmony in this simple fruit pastry.
Roasted Heart of Palm with Romesco Sauce
Toasted almonds elevate the nuttiness of this delicate vegetable.