This dish is based on one that appears in the Japanese-language cookbook Saisai Gohan by Yumiko Kanou (Shibata-Shoten, 2004), the chef and owner of Nakaiseki Sen, a vegetarian restaurant in Tokyo.
- 2 dried chiles de árbol
- 2 tbsp. Asian sesame oil
- 7 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 cups cooked and cooled Short-Grain Brown Rice
- 3 tsp. light soy sauce
- Using kitchen shears, cut chiles into thin rings and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a 10″ nonstick skillet over high heat. Add scallions, and pine nuts and cook, stirring frequently, until the scallions wilt slightly and the pine nuts take on a light golden color, about 2 minutes.
- Add rice and soy sauce. Cook, stirring to break up the clumps, until the rice is hot and all the ingredients have mingled together, about 3 minutes. Garnish with the chiles.