This spicy Caribbean dish is flavored with allspice, soy sauce, and sugar.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 4 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 tsp. ground allspice
- 8 cloves garlic
- 8 habanero chiles, stemmed
- 8 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 (1" piece) ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 whole skin-on, bone-in chicken legs and thighs
- Combine the oil, lime juice, sugar, vinegar, thyme, soy sauce, allspice, garlic, chiles, scallions, shallots, ginger, and salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Place chicken in a 9" x 13" baking dish and pour marinade over it; massage marinade into chicken, making sure to push it under the skin. Cover chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken on grill over direct heat and cook, turning occasionally, until it begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to indirect heat, or reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes. To serve, transfer chicken to a plate.