Kolrābju Salāti (Kohlrabi Salad)
When grated and mixed with heavy cream and farmer’s cheese, kohlrabi makes a creamy yet refreshing slaw. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article Riga Revisited.
- 1 cup farmer’s cheese or cottage cheese, drained overnight in a cheesecloth-lined strainer
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and grated Granny Smith apple
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 medium kohlrabies, peeled and grated
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. sliced parsley leaves
- In a large bowl, stir cheese, cream, apple, salt, kohlrabies, and pepper until evenly combined; let sit for 10 minutes, so flavors can marry. Garnish with parsley before serving.